As this year’s Mother Language Symposium (MTLS) shows, learning and mastering a mother tongue is engaging and rewarding for both young children and parents.
The theme of MTLS 2022 is “Garden of Delightful Discovery”. Its goal is to create a learning environment that is fun, nurturing and vibrant beyond the classroom.
As the 11th MTLS is a hybrid event, the Opening and Awards Ceremony will take place at the Republic Cultural Center at the Republic Polytechnic. The ceremony will be broadcast live on the website. You’ll also have access to shared sessions and a variety of other online activities starting August 27th. Subscription overages will allow those who were unable to register for Storytelling Sessions, Engagement Sessions, and Interactive His Workshops to watch these sessions beginning in August. 28 www.mtls.edu.sg.
Find out how parents and their young children can participate in this year’s Native Language Symposium.
1) Learn practical methods in interactive workshops
Best for: Parents and nursery 1st to 2nd grade elementary school
What to expect: Parents and their children interact with native language course instructors, enjoy age-appropriate stories, hands-on games and activities.
- Ms Ong Peiying, Senior Manager (Education), Mandai Wildlife Group
- The Bambini Sg Founder Nurain Syakirah Binte Nordin
- Yogeswari Preshant, Founder of Sink Tamil Academy and Artistic Director of Sink Theater
2) Discover how to use your native language in everyday life through engagement sessions
Best for: Elementary school 1st grade to elementary school 4th grade
What to expect: These sessions are aimed at helping students more easily use their native language in their daily and everyday life. For example, you can participate in online activities such as making Mid-Autumn Festival lanterns, participating in language activities, and learning about adjectives using augmented reality.
- Madam Zhang Yanyan, Advanced Chinese Teacher, Princess Elizabeth Elementary School, Outstanding Chinese Teacher Award 2021 Winner
- Sajini Naidu, TV personality, actress and anchor
- Nurain Binte Tajudeen, Malay Teacher, Changkat Changi Secondary School
- Mr Djohan Bin Abdul Rahman, Head Teacher, Malay, Changkat Changi Secondary School
3) Join a storytelling session
Best for: Students from K1 to Primary 2
What to expect: Librarians from the National Library Board read specially selected stories in a variety of native languages online. You can also participate in interesting book-related activities.
- Ms Melissa Choo See Check, Associate Librarian, Chinese, Collection Planning and Development, National Library Board
- Muhammad Shahril Bin Shaik Abdullah, Associate Librarian, Malay, Collection Planning and Development, National Library Board
- Mr. Zainab, Associate Librarian, Tamil, Collection Planning and Development, National Library Board
4) Search words to find images and exchange them for prizes
Best for: Parents and Students in K1 to Primary 1
What to expect: At the MTLS website, you can participate in the Explore@MTLS Activity Package, which includes eight fun activities, from word searches to scavenger hunts. For the latter, browse the website to find the image of your choice. As you complete each activity, you’ll earn points that can be redeemed for limited-edition prizes.