Allan Saint-Maximin’s superb second-half leveler saved Newcastle a point at the Wolves to get off to an unbeaten start.

The forwards snatched a 1–1 draw in the final minute just as the Magpies seemed to have slipped into their first defeat of the season.

A Ruben Neves screamer gave the Wolves the lead, but the hosts had to hold on as Elliot Anderson hit the bar in injury time.

Newcastle have yet to receive a work permit for Eddie Howe’s new £60m signing of Swedish international Alexander Isak, so Saint-Maximin had to produce.

With Bruno Guimaraes injured, along with Callum Wilson, the Magpies are stripped of their best creative outlets, Saint-Maximin aside.

The point does not boost Molyneux’s hopes as Wolves are looking for their first Premier League win of the season.

Newcastle made their first threat when Jose Sa held off Chris Wood five minutes into the game after the striker grabbed a loose ball and went around the goalkeeper.

Pedro Neto lifted Goncalo Guedes’ crossover after Neves’ gorgeous crossfield pass.

But just as Neves oozed quality in midfield, his teammates were nervous in the back and indecision almost cost them in the 12th minute.

The Wolves were unable to deal with Kieran Trippier’s long throw, and Wood’s shot was blocked after Mateus Nunes pulled Sean Longstaff’s shirt and fled.

It fell to Joe Willock, but Sa alone went 6 yards wide to beat the midfielder.

Newcastle picked up on the early moves and although there was much to admire in Wolves’ early build-up play, it was the Magpies who were more fluent.

Saint-Maximan was a threat while Longstaff protected visitors and investigated openings.

However, 29 minutes into the match, the Wolves almost scored.
Trippier recklessly lost possession to Raul Jimenez.

The striker had time to pick a hastily unmarked Nunes, but the club-record signing fell wide off in vain.

That encouraged the Wolves and they started to find some momentum, but they were held back by Neves’ trademark rockets seven minutes before halftime.

The skipper found Neto on the right and started to move, who then extended the play to Geddes on the left. He played the ball inside Neves and the midfielder unleashed a spectacular low drive from his 25 yards into the bottom corner of Nick his Pope.

It knocked out the Newcastle staff and Fabian Schär’s shot went wide after half-time.

Pope saved from Neto because the wolf got used to the lead and defended it resolutely.

The Magpies pressed but didn’t miss a chance to break and Wolves, who thought they had doubled their lead with 10 minutes remaining, could see Jimenez’s goal disallowed.

Neto shoved Ryan Fraser on a build-up but broke and found Jimenez tapped in, which umpire Peter Banks correctly ruled out after checking the monitors.

Newcastle then made the most of their reprieve in the final moments.

Under pressure from Jacob Murphy, Hwang Hee-chan sliced ​​a clearance into the air and Saint-Maximin drove a stunning volley into the corner from 20 yards.

There was still time for the Frenchman to test the Sa as Newcastle suddenly won and Anderson’s header hit the bar in stoppage time.

Source link

Previous articleUkrainian band joins Ed Sheeran for live debut of collaborative track
Next articleA day in the life of an Irish soldier in South Lebanon