Former US Open Champion Bryson DeChambeau participated in the Saudi-backed LIV Golf Invitational Series. It was a week after he said he was “faithful” and couldn’t take the risk.
DeChambeau was previously linked to the exit circuit, but in February he said, “As long as the best players in the world are playing the PGA Tour, I will.”
Dustin Johnson also said he was “fully committed” to the PGA Tour on the same day, but then resigned from membership and participated in the £ 20m LIV Golf event at the Centurion Club this week. ..
Minutes after the first shot was hit on Thursday, the PGA Tour suspended all 17 players on the field who were on the field despite being turned down for the required release.
Jay Monahan, PGA Tour Commissioner, added: “The same fate applies to other players who violate our rules and participate in future Saudi Golf League events.”
After missing a cut at the Masters, DeChambeau underwent hand surgery and returned to action with another missed cut at the Memorial Tournament last week. There he was asked if the injury influenced his decision regarding the LIV Golf League.
“For me, I personally don’t think I’m in the place of my career where I can endanger such things at this point,” said the blockbuster American. “I am loyal to the families I have created around me with sponsors and everything.”
Rocket Mortgage, one of DeChambeau’s sponsors, soon ended his relationship with a 28-year-old American when his imminent move to LIV Golf was reported.
PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan has informed TOUR membership today that players competing without a release have been suspended and are not eligible to participate in TOUR official competitions.
— PGA Tour (@PGATOUR) June 9, 2022
LIV Golf CEO Greg Norman, who plans to sign more players ahead of his second event in Portland, Oregon, from June 30th to July 2nd, said:
“He is passionate about sports, his approach is innovative and he is committed to pushing the boundaries in pursuit of excellence.”
Branden Grace of South Africa welcomes the addition of DeChambeau and believes that the PGA Tour may be forced to change its stance if more players register.
“You would think so,” Grace said. “But I don’t really care what they’re doing. This is the decision I made because I resigned as a member. It was a great opportunity to feel unslip.”
The DP World Tour has not yet commented on how they treat rebel players. Two-time major winner Martin Kaymer expects to wait until the current mixed event in Sweden ends on Sunday.
Kaimer and Sergio García remained on the BMW International Open’s entry list two weeks later, saying that Kaimer hadn’t heard anything suggesting he wouldn’t be allowed to play.
“I haven’t heard anything. I’m going to play in Munich,” he said.
Day 2 ️⃣ Completed 👍#LIVGolf pic.twitter.com/ZOWgWPTnuL
— LIV Golf (@LIVGolfInv) June 10, 2022
Former Masters Champion Charl Schwartzel maintained pole position on the course, adding 66 to Opening 65 on Saturday, clearing Henny Dupresis three shots and reaching $ 4 million after reaching 9 Underpar. I won the championship.
Both South African pairs are part of the Stinger Golf Club for a four-person team event. That means we will hold a 7-shot lead and share an additional US $ 3 million.
Six major winners, Phil Mickelson, who has played his first event since February, struggled in the second round of 75, slowing down 13 shots.