Since 2015, Yemen has been a battlefield between Iran-backed Houthi rebels and Saudi-led coalitions.
Yemeni conflict parties agreed on Wednesday to continue their commitment to the existing ceasefire of the war-torn country to mark Eid al-Adha, a move praised by the GCC and the Arab League.
“The two parties have agreed to ease rhetoric in public statements and the media, paying attention to the safety, well-being and protection of civilian children, women and men, and the key infrastructure that underpins their lives and livelihoods.” Said the United Nations.
As the Qatar News Agency (QNA) reported, GCC Secretary-General Nayef Al-Hajraf expressed support for the continuation of the ceasefire, saying it was a reflection of the efforts of the international community to ensure peace in Yemen. rice field.
Al Hajuraf said the ceasefire would pave the way for peace in Yemen after years of brutal conflict that claimed the lives of thousands.
Similar sentiment was repeated by the Arab League, stating that the move would also help reach a comprehensive and sustainable political solution.
Since 2015, Yemen has been a battlefield between Iran-backed Houthi rebels and a Saudi-led coalition in support of an internationally recognized government previously led by the Abdrabbuh Mansurhadi administration. It has become.
Qatar has long sought a peaceful and political solution to the ongoing war in Yemen and a comprehensive dialogue between all parties to the war.
The United Nations initially announced a two-month ceasefire on April 2. This is the first ceasefire since 2016 after years of escalation. It was then extended to June, just before it expired, and brought hope to a war-torn country where long-standing conflicts led to the “worst humanitarian crisis in the world.”
The first announcement of the ceasefire followed the transfer of power from Hadi to the Presidential Council. The former leader also dismissed his deputy Ali Mosen al-Ahmar.
The ceasefire included the establishment of two weekly commercial flights between Sana’a, Amman and Cairo. In addition, one provision of a ceasefire allowed 18 fuel vessels to enter the port of Hudaydah, which is controlled by the Houthi.
The Houthi rebels occupied the port city at the height of the war before occupying the Yemeni capital, Sana’a.
The Houthis recently announced that it would open a road to the outskirts of the besieged city of Tides, but the war has not yet reached an agreement to completely lift the siege.
Since the ceasefire came into effect, rights groups have pointed out positive impacts on the ground, emphasizing the reduction in civilian casualties.
According to Save the Children, January has been Yemen’s deadliest month since 2018, killing or injuring one civilian every hour. This happened during a rekindling after the Houthi rebels and Saudi-led coalitions led attacks on several UAE sites, and the former led the attacks.
In the first month of the ceasefire, the Norwegian Refugee Council reported that Yemen witnessed a reduction in civilian casualties by more than 50% in the first month of the ceasefire.
However, the explosion in the southern part of the country killed at least six people in the de facto capital, Aden.
The war in Yemen caused the worst humanitarian crisis in the world. In Yemen, more than 14 million people, 80% of the population, are in urgent need of humanitarian assistance. More than 3 million people have been evacuated.