Even the most bland meal can be saved with the right chutney.Luckily, we have your back.
- 250g dried dates
- 300ml water
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ghee (or 2 tablespoons olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 chili pepper
- 1 slice of ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Quarter the dates and soak them in 300ml of water and the juice of half a lemon.
- Crush the coriander seeds finely in a mortar. Seed the chillies, peel the ginger, and chop each into pieces.
- Heat the ghee in a pan and lightly fry the coriander seeds. Add chilli and ginger and fry until lightly browned. Add the turmeric and stir quickly with the rest of the spices. Add the soaked dates along with the soaking water and the brown sugar and cook uncovered over medium heat for 10-15 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Finely puree in a blender.
- Add salt and cinnamon, season with a little lemon juice and let cool.
Note: Chutney can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several days and can be frozen.
debtFor more recipes, click here to visit Kachen.