Former world-leading golfer Dustin Johnson confirmed on Tuesday that he had resigned from membership on the US PGA Tour to play in Breakaway’s LIV Golf Invitational Series.

This decision effectively excludes the two major American winners from participating in the Ryder Cup, which forces the United States to fight Europe every two years.

Johnson spoke at a press conference at the Centurion Club near London prior to the opening event of the Saudi-sponsored series starting Thursday.

World number 15 said he promised to play on the PGA Tour in February. The PGA TOUR has refused to release members playing at the LIV Golf opener, which collides with the Canadian Open.

However, he has now resigned following a similar decision by veteran US golfer Kevin Na, who is also in the field of events in St Albans.

“I am very grateful for the PGA Tour and everything it has done for me … but this is what I felt was the best for me and my family and I am very excited to play. “I will.” Johnson said.

A 37-year-old, who is reportedly receiving a $ 150 million performance fee to play in the series, said the outcome of his decision was difficult to predict.

“Now I have resigned from the tour membership,” he added. “I’m going to play here now, and that’s a plan.”

“The Ryder Cup is incredible and it definitely makes a lot of sense to me,” said all five games with a record 19-9 US victory over Europe at Whistling Straits last year. Johnson, who won, added.

“I’m proud to have played and represented in my country, and I hope I have the opportunity to do that, but I haven’t set any rules.”

Former Masters and US Open champions said they were exempt from playing in majors because of his record.

-Ryder Cup-

Graeme McDowell, whose Ryder Cup qualifications are tied to membership in the DP World Tour (European Tour), said at a news conference that he didn’t feel the need to resign from the PGA Tour, he said. Legal situation “.

“The players here this week have made a huge contribution to the Ryder Cup product. It’s a shame to see them not invited,” said Pat, who won the 2010 Celtic Manners. McDowell said.

Six-time major winner Phil Mickelson confirmed on Monday that he had signed up to attend the first LIV event at the organizer’s major coup.

Mickelson hasn’t played since the announcement of comments criticizing Saudi supporters of the PGA Tour and LIV Golf in February.

Lee Westwood, Sergio Garcia and Ian Poulter are also one of the 48-man fields of the $ 25 million event at the Centurion Club.

Players who choose LIV Golf did so despite the disciplinary action PGA Tour warning.

The DP World Tour is more opaque than the PGA Tour and states that it “evaluates each request on a case-by-case basis.”

The LIV Golf Invitational Series, which consists of eight tournaments this year, is funded by the Saudi Arabia Sovereign Wealth Fund.

Amnesty International states that this series is an example of Saudi Arabia’s attempt to “sports wash” human rights records.

Source link

Previous articleSex Talk, Suspicious Tattoo, Fish Store “Bish”: The Best Part of Episode 1 of Love Island
Next articleTeenagers suffering from long covids will have to wait for medical appointments until 2023