Tehran/Washington: Iran on Wednesday received a response from the United States to Iran’s proposal for the European Union’s final draft to revive the 2015 nuclear deal, the foreign ministry said. The announcement comes a day after Washington announced it had agreed to ease key demands that had prevented it from reviving the 2015 deal that was scrapped by former President Donald Trump. That was a day after Tehran criticized the US for its slow reaction to US proposals.
Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman Nasser Kanani said Tehran had “through its (EU) coordinator received a response from the US government on the opinion of the Islamic Republic of Iran on outstanding issues in negotiations to lift sanctions. I received it tonight.” “The process of carefully considering the US views has begun and the Islamic Republic of Iran will release its views in this context to the coordinator after the review is complete,” Kanani added, though Details were not disclosed.
Iran last week submitted a proposal for the final draft that the EU sent on August 8, and the EU is coordinating talks in Vienna on reviving the deal. Shortly after Tehran’s announcement, Washington confirmed that it had accepted Iran’s offer. State Department spokesman Ned Price said, “As you are aware, he received Iran’s comments on the EU’s proposed final text through the EU.” , which corresponded to the EU.”
An agreement signed in 2015 between Iran and six world powers (UK, China, France, Germany, Russia and the US) would have eased sanctions on the Islamic Republic in exchange for curbing its nuclear program. Officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), the agreement was designed to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons.
Iran’s announcement comes after its arch-nemesis, the Zionist organization, has put pressure on the West to halt negotiations to restore the deal, warning of the consequences of returning to it. “What is currently on the negotiating table is a bad deal. It will give Iran $100 billion a year,” Zionist Prime Minister Yair Lapid told journalists on Wednesday. The funds would be used by the Iran-backed extremist groups Hamas, Hezbollah and Islamic Jihad to “undermine stability in the Middle East and spread terrorism around the world,” he added.
Earlier, US President Joe Biden on Tuesday ordered airstrikes targeting facilities used by Iran-backed militias in eastern Syria, a US military spokesman said. Central Command (Centcom) spokesman Col. Joe Buccino said the strike in the oil-rich province of Deir Ezzor “targeted infrastructure facilities used by groups affiliated with Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.” Stated.
Buccino said, “Precision strikes are aimed at defending and protecting U.S. forces from attacks like the Aug. 15 attack on U.S. personnel by Iran-backed groups.” all casualties. Tuesday’s airstrike hit nine of his bunkers in a complex used for ammunition storage and logistics, the colonel told CNN separately.
U.S. forces had originally planned to attack 11 of the 13 bunkers in the complex, but canceled attacks on two after groups of people were seen nearby, he said. said, adding that initial assessments showed no one had been killed. A Centcom statement said the U.S. military “took balanced and prudent actions aimed at limiting the risk of escalation and minimizing the risk of casualties”. However, we will continue to take necessary measures to protect and defend our citizens.”
Iran’s foreign ministry on Wednesday refuted Washington’s allegations, denying any ties to groups targeted by US airstrikes in Syria. A Foreign Ministry statement strongly condemned the “act of terrorism” by the United States and said it represented a “violation of Syria’s sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity”. Kanani said the attacks targeted “popular groups and fighters opposed to the occupation”, referring to US forces stationed in eastern Syria. He denied the group was “affiliated” with Tehran.
Hundreds of US troops have been deployed in northeastern Syria as part of a coalition focused on fighting remnants of the Islamic State group. But Kanani called for US forces to leave Syria immediately and “end the looting of the country’s oil and grain wealth.” There was no immediate confirmation of a US attack from Syrian state media.
Earlier, Iranian state media said a Revolutionary Guard general “who was serving in Syria as a military adviser” was killed on Sunday. The report did not say how the general was killed, but described him as a “sanctuary defender”, a term used for those working for Iran in Syria or Iraq. It said it deployed troops to Syria at the invitation of Damascus and only as an advisor.
The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said on Wednesday that six fighters guarding the targeted installation were killed in the attack. The Monitor, which relies on an extensive network of Syrian sources, said it could not immediately determine the nationality of those killed. said he was in a group of An arms depot and an Iran-backed militia training camp were targeted, according to the Monitor. – agency